Thursday, October 20, 2011

Exalted Among the Nations

Josh is sharing with us ways in which we can be more involved in the work of missions. This is the first of seven lessons.

During a short term missions trip to Asia one of the many lessons God taught me was that my view of how He was working in the world was too small.

Here I was interacting with people and cultures I had never heard of, but God was at work there, calling people to himself. One of the verses that impacted me on that trip was Psalm 46:10. It says:

"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"

This is humbling because God's plan isn't about me. Yes, I have the privilege of being a part of it, but God's plan is much bigger. God's plan is that every tribe, every tongue, every people and every nation would glorify Him and know the magnificent wonders of the Gospel. That every people would know Jesus, their supreme creator and savior, and would know the amazing riches of grace that are available in Him.

We came home from that trip not sure what to do next, but with the strong desire to be involved in what God is doing in the world from wherever we were at. But how can we do that? As we are motivated by the Gospel and desire to live for Christ, how can we be involved in God being exalted in the nations?

6 Ways
Two organizations, OMF International (OMF stands for Overseas Missionary Fellowship) and the Perspectives Study Program, have tried to help in answering these questions by categorizing some of the ways to serve into 6 different general groups: Learn, Pray, Go, Send, Welcome, and Mobilize.

For an overview of the 6 ways you can check out:

http://vimeo.com/17625553

I have found it helpful to consider some of these ways of serving and ask God how He desires us to be involved in His work in the world.

In the next post I will talk about the first way: Learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment